Our Lady of Mt. Carmel welcomed Mrs. Vicki Thorn to our parish on Thursday, January 31, 2013 for a talk on the biochemistry of sex, which she refers to as “the biology behind the Theology of the Body.” Vicki has devoted her career to raising awareness, especially among teens, of the consequences of the so-called Sexual Revolution as they relate to the physical health of all involved. Vicki is the Founder of Project Rachel and the Executive Director of the National Office of Post-Abortion Reconciliation & Healing located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
During her 90 minute talk, Vicki revealed a theme about God’s world and plan for humanity. The theme was inter-connectedness, and the message was that God’s power, as it pertains to procreation, is immense beyond our understanding, and we mess with it at our peril. Looking at my notes, I came away with a number of ideas worthy of future discussion:
- I learned about “menstrual synchronicity” and the biological significance of the “alpha female.” (And here I thought “alpha female” meant only that she maintained the checkbook.)
- How we, as a society, have become “disembodied”, such that we make decisions regarding our behaviors without full awareness of what those decisions mean to our health. In Vicki’s words, we are “stone age people living in a high tech society.”
- That my mother’s observation–“before you marry some gal, check out her mother”–was dead on, as Vicki gave a great segment on mitochondria, how women carry the genes from seven generations of their mothers. And how the Y chromosome that men carry has 72 genes, compared to the 3500-6000 genes on EACH of the two XX chromosomes in women., explaining in part why women are so much more complicated than we men are.
- That the whirlpools you find attached to the swimming pool in cheap motels, which I refer to as “DNA swap meets”, have nothing on the real world. That women carry in their bodies the genes of their parents, their older siblings, their children, and children they may have conceived but not borne, as well as residual DNA from every man they’ve ever had sex with. Reset, for me anyway, the concept of a person’s sexual “dance card” and how it’s actually even longer than we might have thought.
- That what I had heard previously about the presence of estrogen in public water supplies, and what that means for the health of both men and women, is true. A great example of how we, as a community, suffer from the actions, sinful or otherwise, of our neighbors.
- That chemical contraception alter’s a woman’s subconscious biologic assessment of potential mates. That the blocking of her reproductive hormones causes her to seek a mate with a higher level of testosterone than she otherwise would. And that men with high testosterone levels are more likely to hit, cheat on, and leave women. She suggested, too, that birth control pills lower a woman’s libido. And, to make things worse, when the woman goes off the pill, she doesn’t like him anymore! Message: that when we play God, which is what we do when we practice chemical contraception, the spiritual prohibition is now supported by the biology behind it.
There was plenty of other good stuff involving immune system issues, pheromones, micro-chimerism, testosterone, cellular communication (biological, not iPhone), and the health benefits of seminal fluid. All of which you can find discussed at length at the sites listed below. This is a brief video of Vicki speaking on biochemistry and God: